Discover the Berry Islands
Great Harbour Cay, largest of the islands, was originally developed in the mid-1960s. A marina ringed with waterfront townhomes and luxurious yachts, as well as an18-hole championship golf course, designed by Joe Lee, made it a favorite hideaway for the wealthy. Seven continuous miles of beautiful beaches and a protected harbor rank it among the best places to stay in The Bahamas. Notable residents and visitors include Brigitte Bardot, Ingrid Bergman, Earl Blackwell, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Dame Margot Fonteyn, Cary Grant, Curt Jurgens, Jack Nicklaus, Hugh O'Brian, and the Rockefellers.
Big Whale Cay was the chosen retreat of millionaire Marion Carstairs. As one of the best islands in The Bahamas for families, Carstairs created her own little village with Spanish-styled buildings, winding roads, a church, and museum.
Little Whale Cay, once the home of Mr. Wallace Grove, is a bird sanctuary.
The settlement of Little Harbour Cay was founded by ancestors of Chester Darville. His family still Flo's Conch Bar and Restaurant, named for his mother. Some of their original houses, built in the late 1930s and the early '40s, are still inhabited.
Great Stirrup Cay has an 1863 lighthouse and Williamstown, now abandoned, was established there during the reign of William IV.
When the question of where to vacation in The Bahamas comes up, we think of places like Little Stirrup Cay. This relaxing beach surrounded by beautiful, blue water is used by Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines as a one-day cruise stopover.
History of the Berry Islands
The Berry Islands were initially inhabited in 1836 by Governor Colebrook and a group of freed slaves at Great Stirrup Cay. It's believed that the islands were given their name because of the abundance of thatch berry trees found here. Historic sites include two lighthouses, old churches, and abandoned villages.
once the site of a sisal and sponging plantation. Cistern Cay was once a private development with an airstrip and marina, but is now just an uninhabited island left in ruins and has been stocked by the locals for hunting.