Andros is rich with historical landmarks and undersea adventures.
Andros Lighthouse was built in 1892 to mark the southern entrance to the Fresh Creek channel. In 1952, three old canons were added in front of the Lighthouse and a tower built to the top. The canons came from the “Cottsac” Schooner, which wrecked on Stanyard Rock in the 1800s.
Andros is best known to scuba divers and snorkelers. Barrier Reef and Tongue of the Sea is the third largest barrier reef in the world measuring more than 140 miles long. It’s just a mile off the shores of Andros and is teemingg with almost every variety of exotic fish species. The Tongue of the Ocean is a deep ocean trench that begins about 70 feet deep and plunges to more than 6,000 feet.
Mariners Well is a freshwater natural spring well, which got its name from locals. It’s said to have been used by pirates and before the 17th century and after that by sailing crewmen on the sponging vessels. Mariners Well sits between two saltwater lakes on Andros and is located on the property of a house built in the shape of the letter, “A.”
Native Colony Ruins are about a half mile south of Pleasant Harbour and includes eight historical stone buildings dating back to the 1930s. The buildings represent vintage Bahamian style architecture and are open for exploration. It’s unknown why the colony was abandoned and never inhabited.
The famous batik fabric and garment manufacturing factory, Androsia, is located on Andros next to Lighthouse Club in Fresh Creek. Their brightly colored authentic Bahamian hand-dyed printed fabrics and clothing, inspired by the island environment and Bahamian culture, can be purchased all over The Bahamas. The proud staff at Androsia Batiks enjoys giving tours of the factory to visitors of Fresh Creek. www.androsia.com
Pirate buffs and explorers can venture to Henry Morgan’s Cave at the northeastern point of Andros near the town of Morgan’s Bluff. While historians have never confirmed this cave was the hideout of the Caribbean’s most feared pirate, folklore speaks of buried treasure within. Signs along Queen’s Highway direct the public to the dark cavern full of bats and stalagmites.