Explore the Atlantic Ocean beaches of Cat Island
Aug 21, 2017
More reefs, more waves, more pink sand
Most resorts on Cat Island are located on the western coast of the island, which is washed by the shallow waters of the Bahama Banks. If you explore the western coast of the island, however, you can swim in the Atlantic Ocean and experience the pink sand wonder of Cat Island. The two main beaches on Cat Island's Atlantic side are located by Ocean Dreams Beach Resort and Greenwood Beach Resort.
Things to know about the Atlantic beaches:
- They have better coral reefs just offshore and are therefore better for snorkeling.
- The good thing is that they are windy. This means cooler days and nights and cool things to do like kite surfing.
- The bad thing is that they are windy. This means large waves on really windy days that might prevent you from swimming.
- They have pink sand.
- They are great for shelling.
- They sometimes have ocean debris washed in from the Atlantic Ocean, which has a major shipping channel running along the coast of The Bahamas.
The best place to access this beach is through the Ocean Dreams Beach Resort. You'll have to drive down a long, bumpy dirt road to get there. When you do, you'll discover a boutique hotel with six hillside cottages that sit on top of a towering sand dune; down below is the beautiful Atlantic Ocean beach.
Photos by The Domestic Tourist
The best place to access this beach is through the Greenwood Beach Resort. The resort has a dive shop, where you can access snorkeling gear and receive scuba diving instruction, and it offers kitesurfing lessons.