Bahamas Passport Information
Do I need a passport to go to the Bahamas?
On January 23, 2007, new US government regulations took effect which will require all adults and children (even newborns) to have a valid passport for all international travel by air. This requirement will be extended to sea travel (except closed loop cruises), including ferry service, by the summer of 2009. Until then, U.S. citizens traveling by sea must have government-issued photo identification and a document showing their U.S. citizenship (for example, a birth certificate or certificate of nationalization), or other WHTI compliant document such as a passport card for entry or re-entry to the U.S. Sea travelers should also check with their cruise line and countries of destination for any foreign entry requirements. To apply for a new passport, you will need to appear in person at a post office or courthouse that accepts passport applications. Use the form below to find the passport acceptance office nearest you.
For Bahamas passport requirements, please read the following:
At the acceptance facility, you will need to provide ONE of the following:
- Original or Certified copy of your birth certificate - hospital birth certificates are unacceptable (If you do not have your original birth certificate click here to order a certified copy)
- Old Passport
- Original Naturalization Certificate or Certificate of Citizenship
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad
You will need to provide Proof of Identity.
You will need to provide ONE of the following:
- Driver's License (issued more than 6 months ago)
- State-issued identification card (issued more than 6 months ago)
- Official government or military picture identification
You will need a New passport application (DS-11).
Click here to download the DS-11 form. (Do NOT sign the DS-11 until you are instructed to do so by the acceptance agent)
You need to provide updated Passport Photos.
Go to a passport photographer and have your passport photos taken. You will receive two (2) identical passport photographs.
You must provide Check, money order or bank draft to pay application fees:
How much does a passport cost? You will need to provide two separate checks for fees:
- payment of $67 payable to the US Department of State
- payment of $30 payable to the acceptance facility
(Please include your date of birth on the memo line of the check)
Remember, you are only required to renew your US Passport once every 10 years.
Expedited Passport Service:
You can receive your passport, ordinarily, in about 2 weeks, if you do the following:
- Increase check amount made payable to US Department of State to $127 (includes $67 processing fee and $60 expediting fee. You will still need a separate check, payable to the acceptance facility in the amount of $30).
- Provide 2 prepaid “US Postal Service Express Mail” envelopes
- One envelope addressed to the US Passport Agency (use address listed in the “Mail to” section of your DS-11 application)
- One envelope addressed to the place you wish to have your new passport returned
Here's what you can expect to happen at the passport acceptance facility.
The passport acceptance agent will:
- Witness you signing line 23 of the DS-11 (Do not sign until asked to do so)
- Check your identification to verify your identity
- Attach your proof of citizenship documents to the application
- Attach your photos to the application
- Receive payments for your passport application
At this point, the acceptance agent will send your documents to the US Passport Agency. You will receive your new passport in the mail in about 6 weeks (or about 2 weeks if expedited) together with your supplied citizenship. When you receive your passport, please be sure to sign in the space provided for your signature.
Call the Bahamas passport team toll free at 1-800-523-7682.The passport specialists answer all calls within three rings.
Call center hours of operation are:
- 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST weekdays
- 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST Saturdays
- 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM EST Sundays
Useful Passport Links:
General Passport Agency (All Info) »
Traveling to the Bahamas »
Passport Application Processing Times »
How to get a passport for the first time »
Application for Passport, Form DS-11 »
How to renew a passport »
Application for Passport by Mail: DS-82 »
Download Passport Application »
Expedite Fee: (See How to Get Your Passport in a Hurry. ) »
Be the first to hear about the latest Bahamas Out Island resort packages and offers.
See a page you'd like to save or read later?
Simply click the “Save Page for later” button to save any page and read it later.